Seeing as a trip to Europe is off the cards for a while, do the next best thing and head to Adelaide Hill’s charming German town – Hahndorf. There are plenty of winter-friendly things to do in Hahndorf.
Hahndorf is special any time of year but there is something about winter that’ll really draw you in. If you’re dreaming of sitting by a crackling fire, while you indulge in a hearty comfort meal with a warm winter red wine in hand. Hahndorf is where it’s at. The bonus is that this picturesque town is nestled in nature.
Rug up and get your Europe and Winter fix all rolled into one without leaving Australia.
Eat and drink your way around Hahndorf with these things to do. With many of them being located on Hahndorf’s main street, you don’t need to worry about being out in the cold too long.
Add these things to do in Hahndorf to your winter bucket list
- Get cosy next to these pub fire’s – Winter isn’t complete without a visit to a pub with a fireplace. Lucky for you there is two located in Hahndorf. Both the German Arms and Hahndorf Inn offering that rustic winter pub vibe. With a crackling fire, hearty traditional German food and beer.
- Visit Australia’s oldest artist’s studio – Two generations of art can be found at The Cedars, once home to iconic landscape painter Hans Heysen and his family. You’ll get to explore the studios of Hans and Nora Heysen, the Artist’s Walk, the Artist’s Garden, and The Coach House.
- Wander around the many Hahndorf shops – Hop from shop to shop and pick yourself up some goodies. We recommend you stop by 3 Wishes to check out their handcrafted candles. Then head to The Fudge Shop Hahndorf to marvel at their impressive selection of fudge.
- Try out a unique experience at Hahndorf Hill Winery – Keep yourself warm inside while you soak up the stunning views of their vineyard. Specialising in Austrian variety of wines which can be paired together with a cheese or chocolate plate. They’ve got us chocoholics covered with their must-do ChocoVino experience – pairing wine and chocolate together. This is definitely a winter-worthy stop!
- Wine with Spanish inspired platters – For an intimate relaxing afternoon visit Somerled. A family-run Cellardoor specialising in a small range of premium wines. Try out their Spanish inspired platters that complement their wines. Featuring a long convivial marble bar and a roaring fireplace in winter.
- Fondue for two – If you need a break from the wine tasting head to Udder Delights for their cheese tasting and fondue – perfect for two or a group. They also offer cheese making classes which is a great day or night out activity.
- Get yourself a gourmet hot chocolate from Chocolate @ No 5 – dubbed as the home of artisan chocolate in the Adelaide Hills with hot chocolate’s that’ll leave you drooling for weeks.
- Go for a walk in Mount Lofty Botanical Gardens – If you fancy getting out and stretching your legs head to Mount Lofty Botanical Gardens – a 20-minute drive from Hahndorf. Dedicated to cool-climate plants. Get lost in nature and enjoy the beauty of a fresh winter’s day.
Why not make a weekend of it in Hahndorf so you can indulge in all the food and drink you desire. Stay with us at Hahndorf Resort, nestled in 13 hectares of rolling hills and bushland for your true Hills’ experience. Check out our Adelaide Hills accommodation availability or Adelaide Hills caravan park and book today.